Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Light of Welcome

Pumpkin patch in Half Moon Bay.

Well, I could see my breath this morning as my dog and I stepped outside. There has to be some ice on the pumpkins in my neighbor's garden -- or there was, since the sun is nearly high enough now to target any lingering evidence of Jack Frost's mischief. Even though, as a kid, September meant school and the end of summer fun, autumn was different and I loved it.

I used to take long walks in the afternoon down a dirt lane near our home that, by October, was awash with huge yellow leaves that dribbled from the Cottonwoods along its path. If I timed it just right, I'd have the sunset over the Rockies as my companion -- sometimes ragingly vivid as though a forest fire out of control had been lifted into the sky.

Often as not, there wasn't a cloud to be seen and sunset was a subtle dimming of autumn light, less like a rheostat turning down than the sun itself reaching out and drawing the light behind it as it fell into the mountains. And then, the sky a wonderful blue hue fading to midnight, Venus appeared, and I wished upon her.

I can't really explain it -- maybe I'm still a kid at heart -- but for me autumn is a time of coming home, of supper with acorn squash brimming with maple syrup, of woolen sweaters and a lamp in the window. It's a time for laughter and news from far away.
It's a fire on the hearth, tea on the stove, and the light of welcome streaming through an open door.


(Image of pumpkin patch on Half-Moon Bay by J.R. Conlin via Wikipedia)
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Hey True Blue (genuine bloke) That walk was enjoyable. I am a country girl and walked the dirt road shoeless to a two room school as a child. Still live in a country town and still walk shoeless around the house, yet now live on a block instead of acres. Pumpkin scones (American biscuits) are delicious!! And no baked lamb dinner is enjoyed without baked pumpkin,a must eaten with the skin intact! Back here in Oz we have the "Queensland Blue." It's skin is as tough as old Harry to cut yet as rich as gold on the inside. No one in Tennessee knew what I was asking for when I requested to buy pumpkin? I wanted to cry just trying to get the message across...then discovered butternut squash. Don't we all speak the same language? Someone asked me once how long I had been speaking English... was my accent that bad? LOL Jollyjingos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin scones (or pumpkin anything) are delicious, I agree! We do have pumpkin here -- and out West where I'm from -- but the usual recipe is pumpkin pie. I've made a pumpkin soup, however, that comes out just scrumptious (if I do say so). As to language, my writing friend was very fond of George Bernard Shaw's comment, "The English and Americans are two people separated by a common language." I enjoy your Australian idioms, by the way -- especially when you explain them! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...