Saturday, February 27, 2010

Kim Yu-Na: Great Expectations

Kim Yu-Na (KOR) during the medals ceremony at ...Image via Wikipedia

Yesterday I wrote about the my admiration for Joannie Rochette, skating through grief, her performance expressing her depth of feeling. I've also come to admire South Korea's Kim Yu-Na, whose Olympic struggle hasn't focused on the real presence of loss as much as its potential. Young, beautiful, famous and financially secure, she is a hero whose accomplishments have been incorporated into her country's sense of national pride. The pressure to win has to have been dizzying.

For us medical students, meeting the expectations of family, peers, or ourselves is difficult enough. We spend long hours in the lab, library, and exchange the warm embrace of lovers for late nights with warmed-over coffee, trying to learn what seems like ten thousand details for each exam. Forget the honors grade, sometimes a simple "pass" is cause for celebration.

It's no where near that easy for Kim. In a recent volume of essays, she wrote, "
"If my performance falters, not only people around me but the whole nation might turn their back on me.(1)" Under normal circumstances, one might be tempted to ask if it could get that serious, but her own experience says otherwise. When she only received second place at an event in 2008, she said, "I got a flurry of text messages, but I felt sad and disappointed after checking them. Not a single message congratulated me.(2)"

I don't know about you, but I've never experienced anything quite like that.
To say there was a lot riding on her performance this year is putting it so lightly as to be embarrassing. A personal best was out of the question; she had to be the best. And, thankfully, she was.

A recurring theme in my posts this week has been the meaning of Olympic participation aside from actually winning a medal. In a situation like Kim's, where the investment in one's performance is almost immeasurable, I'm in awe of her ability to cope and find courage and strength in what must have seemed at times, like a very dark place. For me, that's what the Olympics are all about. Life is too, sometimes, come to think of it.


(GNU Free Documentation image of Kim Yu-Na at the 2008 World Skating Championships via Wikipedia)

(Citations: (1) "Korean Skater Copes With Nation's Hopes," by Evan Ramstad, The Wall Street Journal, 2/22/20. (2) "Figure Skater Bears Weight of S. Korea's Expectations," by Nick McMaster, Newser.com.)

10 comments:

  1. A beautiful little girl with a face that illuminates the sweet heart within. I'm glad the victory was her's. Thank you for caring enough for another country's competitor to share her bravery.
    Your a champ also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always tempting to try to compare one set of stressors to another and sometimes that yields some health perspective. I admire Kim for "keeping it together" well enough to overcome the pressure rather than vice versa. Some would say that's what distinguishes an Olympian from "normal" people, but her poise is something anyone can emulate. We just need to see someone do it to know it "can" be done.

    And you're a champ, too. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can only imagine how difficult it is to have the pressure of a whole country on you succeeding, but in turn I am sure it's a huge motivating factor to do well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Firas -- she found a way to manage the pressure well enough to perform. It's what we all do, though not with the size of audience she had, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then as a follow-up question, what are your thoughts on telling students to work harder at a subject they like and do well. In retrospect, the pass and fail system was great to have. But I see it as a reflection of our school, in that they're stuck in mediocrity, and never really progressing, just barely keeping the boat afloat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firas:

    I think it's great to encourage students to work hard at those things they enjoy and in which they perform well. However, I don't believe letter grades are a measure of capability, intelligence, or hard work, as much as they tend to be of test-taking ability.

    If a person is doing what they love and find it fulfilling, then in a real sense grades are an afterthought. The critical factors in assuring the avoidance mediocrity is to pursue excellence in teaching and instructional methodolology. That's where I'd begin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Koreans were very supportive of Yu-na Kim. They have been since day one. The NBC quote about how she felt was not brought about by what you might think. The voice of Korea was always one of support. Watch this video and you'll understand... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg27QUEcawc

    “She said she was able to perform so magnificently because she went into the games knowing that the Korean people would be supportive of her regardless of the color of her medal.”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous:

    Thank you for taking the time to write and leave a comment, I do appreciate it, very much. And thanks as well for the video link, I'll check that out. I'm certain the Korean People have always been supportive of Kim, as your comment indicates. The intent of my blog post was to highlight the courage she demonstrated to achieve her medal and she most certainly did so in a way that stirs one to admiration. Thanks again for reading my blog and commenting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frankly, I was a little wound up about some comments I had read elsewhere and I think I misunderstood your blog post. For that, I am sorry. On a better note, we were both able to enjoy and tremendous performance under pressure by a young woman with a lot of heart. I'll never forget it. Take care and keep bloggin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous:

    Hey, thanks for coming back and leaving an additional comment -- you make me feel much less "alone" because I've done the very same thing, so don't worry about it. :-)

    I agree with you, seeing Kim skate that night -- well, for that matter, seeing Kim and Joannie both, in the same evening, was an experience I won't forget, either.
    They are young women of such character and depth it's difficult to describe.

    Thanks again and all the best to you! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...