Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Being Like Bond

What is it about James Bond? I know, what section of the left field bleachers did that come from? I don't know yet -- just because I'm writing this doesn't really mean I know any more than you do. Writing is a process of discovery and what's coming round the next bend is anyone's guess. So, back to my original question, what is it about 007 that fascinates us enough to keep the franchise going since the Cold War? You're thinking I have an idea or two, huh?

Okay, well for starters, women like the fact that he's rugged, handsome, charming, and sexy. Kind of ironic, isn't it? I mean, he's everything men aren't supposed to be -- except for the rugged, handsome, charming, and sexy part. He sort of has a
steady job but you'll never know whether to count on him for dinner. He drives a three-hundred thousand dollar Aston Martin but it's unlikely you'll get to spend any time behind the wheel. And it seems like every time he falls in love, something happens and sooner or later, she gets killed. Mm, that's not good.

For men, he's confident, daring, in control, and has no problem obtaining female companionship. And did I mention the Aston? Something like zero to light speed

2004 Aston Martin DB9 coupé
in fractions of a second? Don't tell anyone I said this, but it's the car that gets us. The confidence, the control, the women -- those are all secondary. We want the car -- and all the other gadgets, for good measure.

The best thing of all, James always gets out of whatever trouble he's managed to get himself into. He's resilient. The bad guys can't beat him up enough to make him quit. Dangle him over a pit of hungry sharks by a nearly burnt through piece of rope and he'll find a way out. And not only does he survive, he comes through with his sense of humor intact. 


You want to know what I think? I think we love him because we'd like to do the same thing. In whatever circumstance, we want to be someone you can depend on, who doesn't abandon hope, who doesn't become bitter, and who makes you feel glad you know them. I could live with that, couldn't you?

(Image pf 2004 Aston Martin DB9 Coupe via Wikipedia)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. Yep, I reckon everyone wants someone they can depend on..
    Kind, thoughtful, charming and a touch of cheeky humour...
    Hello, are you there?
    Now that's your fair dinkum bloke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, and now that I know what "dinkum" means, I couldn't agree more! :-)

    I think you'll enjoy this reference I just found (/www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-fai3.htm), explaining the origin of the phrase. You probably know it already, but I thought it was a lot of fun to read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will read it...it's funny how you take the expressions for granted. I don't use profanities...so my best word there is gollyjingo.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have more than a few out West where I'm from, mostly country sayings, such as "he looked at me like a calf looking at a new gate," meaning, like I'd spoken a foreign language. Kind of like a big "huh???" :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...