Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pardon My Spelling

PDF 1.5 specification

As of yesterday, the proofs are done and in my hands. What are proofs? Also called page proofs, nowadays they're portable document format (pdf) files that depict how a book will appear once it's been printed. Prior to the advent of the personal computer, they were probably paper copies that arrived by post in a manila envelope. Mine were delivered by email -- it saves the mailperson the trouble of avoiding the dog at the door.

At first I was a little reticent about opening the file -- I felt like I imagine someone would after cosmetic surgery. The bandages are off and they're about to look in the mirror for the first time. At last, curiosity overcame my nerves, and I started to prowl hesitantly. First the title page with the publisher's emblem, then the copyright page and date (whew, this really isn't a dream), and finally the text. I'd been so accustomed to seeing it as a WORD document, I was startled by the fact that it really looks like a book.

Now the work begins. My job involves proof-reading every page to see if there are any errors in spelling, grammar, or formatting. Fortunately, there's also a professional proof-reader out there somewhere doing the same thing, so I've got a backup. But this is an important phase in the process because any errors we miss will be incorporated into the final version. It's even more so when you remember that neither of my coauthors are living -- any mistakes I make are out of their hands to correct.

Interestingly, this feels rather like an archeological dig. It's been a long time since my college course in archeology, so I won't bore you with what I don't recall. But I know it comes down to examining a site layer by layer -- even if you dig a trench in order to view history in cross-section, you only dig it in one place. The rest of the site is examined like an onion, pealed away one sliver at a time.

Some parts are easy -- the preface and introduction read like letters from old friends. The first chapter, though, is a lesson in humility and I can only hope readers become so engrossed they don't see what I see. It's too late for last minute editing, though, because we're on a deadline and the printer is drumming his fingers. Nope, I've got to be a good boy and take my medicine. In a sense, it's just like therapy and also a lot like life. Ultimately, we learn to accept who we are and have faith that others will too, spelling errors and all.


(Image by rillian via Flickr)
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! Well done! What a joy......did you run around with your hands in the air praising God that your head and heart are in print forever? I am feeling very proud and humble to know you via this page.WOW!
    Now I am off to get ready for church.... am praying for a 29yr who came off his motor bike and lost his spleen and leg...Have a blessed Sabbath Day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! :-) I honestly still feel rather like I'm observing someone else's life and rejoicing in their good fortune. Every once in a while it hits home and then I can't believe it. It's the most amazing thing and I wish my friends Lynn and Jonathan were here to share it. Both have published previously but this was a special project for all three of us, so we'd have celebrated far into the night. Knowing them, I'd have been the first to want to turn in and they both had thirty years on me! But I'm so grateful and extremely fortunate to have been a part of this.

    You have a wonderful Sunday as well! And I'll be hopeful for the young man you mention. I assume he's a member of your church?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Mate,You did do it!! so give yourself a hug from me! Can you feel it!! OR run and hug a tree, it feels great!
    I am so sorry your friends are not there also.....but hey, they are probably rejoicing for you in Heaven. There is so much we don't and can't know about the Celestial Realm. My own great faith has been reinforced by supernatural experiences.
    Christopher's father is a Pastor at our church...Chris is smiling and happy not to have lost his whole leg....(has an above knee amputation) We are all praising God for His goodness and mercy that this young man will get another chance in life..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad he has the community to gather round him for support. And he's got a good attitude. I've had friends who came home from Viet Nam without arms/legs and they, too, managed to find a sense of meaning in their experience and a way to transcend the loss. Being around amputees who've struggled to overcome the odds is a vivifying experience. Rather like spending time with AA members -- the support even sober people receive from long-time AA members is amazing and touching. They're some of my favorite people.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...