Friday, January 29, 2010

Finding the Right Woman When Your &%$! Stinks

Heaven
A few years ago, a friend of mine and I were talking about how to recognize the right woman when or if she came along. It was one of those late evenings when we were sufficiently weary to be brutally honest and honestly, we were at a loss. Then I remembered a piece of advice I'd heard from a fellow minister-graduate student, "Beg, you need to find a woman who loves you when your &%$! stinks." Simple, unarguable, and to the point.

But is that all there is to it? Being loved despite your blemishes? Predictably, I don't think so and I've turned to women I admire for help. I haven't asked for comments as much as I've observed the ways they cope under stress, how they act around men they care for, and listened to them speak candidly. I've particularly noted how they've treated me and how that felt. This is what I think I've discovered.

For men, the experience of
&%$! stinking is related to feeling exposed and vulnerable, though most of the time we're not remotely aware of it. At times like these, loving means taking us seriously, especially if you're the only one who does. When you listen to and reflect on what we have to say while all others have "changed channels," that's really quite something. It tells us we genuinely matter to you.

When you're courageous enough to stand with us, knowing our self-esteem is on the line, and you place yours alongside it, that's absolutely incredible. Not all women can do this, sadly, nor all men. It takes a very special person to take a risk with another when the outcome is uncertain. It requires confidence and a solid, secure sense of self. It tells us we're more important to you than what others may think of you.

Being believed in is huge. We may not always seem like the most insightful of beasts, but generally guys can tell when faith is insincere. If the encouragement we receive is superficial or doesn't cost anything to give, we may not say anything, but we know it. On the other hand, I have a very good friend who used to remind me of her certainty I'd get into medical school. The tone of her voice had the effect of erasing any possibility of doubt. Your faith tells us we won't disappoint you.

If we were having that same late night conversation now, I'd say the right woman is one who believes in and respects you. She has confidence in herself and doesn't need to sacrifice you to reinforce it. She is stable under fire, and possesses depth and integrity. None of this is about age, by the way, because some of the women who've been my role models are much younger than me. I hate to use the word maturity, though it does apply. More appropriate is the word, character. If she's has that, well, what else does she need?

(Note to the reader: tomorrow's post will address the "right man")

Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read tomorrow's post.

    I'd say, for either gender, finding the right person is likely when you're relating from a position of your own strength. When you know what your priorities are, and when you're committed enough to what you like to know something about it, then the two of you have some common ground on which to get to know each other. It may or may not be forever, but you have something substantial for however long it lasts. If it turns out that you're not bound for the altar, you still may have a lasting friendship. And that's, in Hebrew, Tov! (very good indeed.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right and especially being committed to something enough to know something about it -- it means the person on the other side of the table has some depth. They aren't merely handsome, pretty, smart, or savy -- there's something "inside" that gives them weight, substance, and makes them a person you wish to get to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in the 4 compatibilities.

    1. The same faith.
    One cannot serve Budda
    while the other serves God (trinity)..

    2. The same humour.

    3. The same intellect. (more or less)then you can have discussion and communicate.

    4. Physical attraction (sex appeal)

    God says we are to be, evenly yoken........
    So, Like an old fashioned scale, man and woman need to balance, one complimenting the other.
    In marriage if the wife respects the husband and the husband loves the wife, all will go well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you say is true, so true, but a woman (or man) could have all those ingredients, and yet not be the RIGHT one. The ingredient you left out is MAGIC. Love is written in the stars. Any and all True Love has existed since the beginning of time, and will last till the end. I have written a poem about finding the right one. Please indulge me as I paste it here:

    Nervous greeting
    Tentative words
    Hopeful strangers
    There we were...

    Ever intended
    Each for the other
    Like a gift
    Tagged and hidden.

    We unwrapped
    Joyful kisses
    Pleasing smiles
    Urgent touches
    Long awaited.

    Dare we name this gift so soon
    Found in just an afternoon?

    Timeless sense
    Knowing hearts
    Unafraid
    Enfold the gift
    Of love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garnet:

    That's a wonderful poem and I appreciate your posting it! I wouldn't begin to disagree -- magic and good chemistry are essential. I wasn't so much trying to develop a laundry list as simply sharing the qualities of women that I've admired. In all the books on relationships I've read, no one seems to highlight these "softer" traits that I've found utterly appealing and seem to make such a positive difference in men.

    Crystal:

    It sounds like you're delineating the elements of "common ground," those things that make us feel at home with someone. The lack of it reminds me of John Denver's song, Different Directions: "Two different directions, too many different ways...when you are moving in different directions, true love may have to wait."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that poem...it is so very very true.
    Yes Magic....well...I feel that comes with the sex appeal (pheremones)...Yet some may have the sex appeal without the true magic hey.

    There has to be the magic.

    Yet something I personally have experienced, when you marry for magic sometimes the other person uses that great love you have for them to turn you inside out and walk over you.

    So the magic MUST be Bi-lateral.

    A poem I wrote years ago on love:

    Beloved One
    Love comes softly like a bird
    On Feathered wings and golden words
    Harped Angelic melodies fill the skies unbounding end
    When lovers join as one, their entwining spirits blend.
    Ah love....
    Agape
    Eros
    Philios
    Storage
    And as Jesus said,The greatest commandment is to Love one another......

    I just feel like I have been transported into Midsummer Nights Dream and Puck has touched me with love. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...