Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Seeing is Believing?

If I'm going to leave the computer unattended, it's obvious just about anything can happen. Actually, it's not surprising that I should find my guest authors' entry posted yesterday; both of them have been paying awfully close attention while I write lately. Naturally, I assumed they were simply being polite and well-mannered. What's that saying about assumptions?

It just goes to show you can't be quite certain things are as they seem. Reality is more fluid than fixed, something Einstein tried to tell us and, of course, we thought he was talking about physics. Little did we know.

Speaking of which, I've known people who construct fairly elaborate fantasies about the way life is supposed to unfold and then behave as if the rest of us are pieces in their private puzzle. When things don't quite fit together, they either conveniently ignore th

The Emperor's New Clothes
e fact or attempt to manipulate people or circumstances to suit the fantasy. They remind me of the Emperor who had no clothes, and it amazes me how they don't realize there's a breeze.

Instead, they go along, exuding an aura of denial, indifferent to their impact on others, all the while acting as though they are the nicest people in the world. If you challenge their world-view or simply refuse to play the game, they appear genuinely astonished. Why, how could anyone not wish to play?

Fairly easily, especially once you realize their version of reality isn't congruent with ours. It might look attractive, feel flattering, and seem genuine enough, but like my sleeping pets on a fine afternoon, you can't be sure one eye isn't partially open and things will turn out to be far different from what you imagine.

One more thing: the dog and cat wanted me to say they appreciated your indulgence and they'll try to stay away from the computer from now on. I'll believe it when I see it.

(Image by ~LiLi~ via Flickr)
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. Hey I like to read what the cat and dog write... they are so natural. My little dog Monty watches me get dressed and wonders what different fur I'll put on each time. I put on one set to go out and do my exercises then come back home and replace it with another..He must get so confused?? Do you know a good psychotherapist I think he needs one..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so funny...we always see everyone else and never ourselves... The story of the Emperors New Clothes has always fasinated me.He was so vain that he had no idea he was in the raw....Aren't we all like that! We see others as we look around yet are oblivious to how we look. The first time I saw myself on video I hated to look...This morning walking down the footpath to my exercise class I caught sight of myself in a shop window...'Goodness, who is that fatty....It's me!!' Oh my... I wish I had those Emperors clothes to cover me head to toe....I need them! Sorry to rave on...I am going to try to keep it shorter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dog psychotherapist...Mm, aside from Eddie Murphy in Dr Doolittle, I don't! :-) I mean, it's only a language barrier, right? As Lynn was fond of describing the British and Americans, two peoples separated by a common language! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...