Friday, June 26, 2009

Stampeding Angels

There is a humorous story (best not repeated here) I heard while living in Texas with the punchline, "That dog'll bite you..." It's a line that I often use to remind myself some things are best treated like sleeping dogs. Don't just step over them, walk all the way around if you have to. My father was great at this. I don't know whether it came from a lifetime of experience or he simply had a gift, but dad was an amazing judge of character.

That's something I miss about him being gone. I can't simply ring him up and run something by him knowing he's got the perfect answer. The things we take for granted, you know? What I would give for heaven to have phone service -- I'd be happy for him to call collect.

Maybe what made him so good at figuring things out was the loss of his father, when like me, he no longer had the benefit of presence to help. Over time, I noticed he was less inclined to rush in when angels would have literally run, if not flown, th

Winged AngelImage by Sumlin via Flickr
e other way. He stood back, observed, and became a little more cautious. If something's right, he began saying, it will be right tomorrow or next week. Seems to me I heard my grandfather use those very words.

I used to marvel that dad could be so patient when I was so impatient even sitting still was scarcely bearable. Now, as is so often the case, I realize he knew what he was talking about. Perhaps it's not so much relying on our own judgment but learning to suspend judgment that makes the difference. In any case, getting out of the way of stampeding angels can be a pretty good idea, too.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...