Sunday, January 30, 2011

Rural Medicine and Splitting Hairs

Kennebec riverSo, tomorrow begins my rural community health rotation, which basically means private family practice in a rural area. I've always thought that was a bit of an inside joke since the entire state of Maine is classified as rural, but I'm probably splitting hairs. From the standpoint of population, my last rotation was actually more rural, since tomorrow's is only six miles from a town of eight thousand. I'm probably splitting hairs, again. I think the idea is to get me somewhere off the beaten path.

You might be wondering why I'm doing a rotation like this in the first place. The most obvious reason is because, well, I have to. While rural medicine is an elective at other medical schools, mine requires it. We train mostly primary care physicians and the average patient, if we decide to practice in Maine, will likely resemble those we see on this rotation. It's also a way of getting students out of their comfort zone, though for me, rural life is like biscuits and gravy. I was raised in the country and practically learned "down home" before English.

As to what I'm expecting, it's going to be family practice. Lots of colds, flu, and diarrhea. There may be opportunities to learn how to suture cut fingers and I suspect, like most family docs, my guy is also the local shrink. That will be fun. I'm hoping for a chance to get my physical exam skills back up to speed and use the OMM skills I've been practicing the past month. And I hope my preceptor eventually feels comfortable enough to allow me to work up a few patients on my own.

For most students, rural medicine seems to come along later in the rotation cycle, so they've had a chance to learn a few things before showing up at "Doc Hollywood's" front door. Because I had to retake boards, my cycle is slightly different, so rural medicine is my opportunity to get into shape before diving into the hospital madhouse routine. I'm not sure one way is better than the other, it's simply the way things are. I'm just glad to have boards behind me and be seeing patients for a change.

From the perspective of my dog and cat, this will be a lot easier than the PASS Program. Last fall, as you may recall, I was in Champaign, Illinois for eight weeks and the three of us chewed up the phone lines every night. This time, I'll be out of town four days out of seven, but it's only a two hour drive away, and I'll be home on the weekends. We'll go for walks, watch movies, have morning snuggles with the cat on my lap, and bake cookies before I head back on Sundays. Pretty much life as usual. Considering subsequent rotations may send me further afield and for longer periods, this will be a good transition for them. And for me.

Anyway, there will be more to come and we shall all see how it goes. Oh, and yes, I'll take photos.


(Creative Commons image of the Kennebec River by qnr via Flickr)

5 comments:

  1. So, do the cat and the dog have to batch for themselves??
    Party Time dad's away,Yahooooo!!
    Seriously, Have a great time!
    You may finish all this with a different idea about what you want to do.??
    Just remain you.. True Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, do the cat and the dog have to batch for themselves??
    Party Time dad's away,Yahooooo!!
    Seriously, Have a great time!
    You may finish all this with a different idea about what you want to do.??
    Just remain you.. True Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Party time for four days and then it's home for three since my preceptor office is only open Mon-Thurs. I feel sheepish for not having to be on call or something. :-)

    As far as changing my mind? Nope -- I've had a taste of family medicine before and it's a great life if you're called to it, but it's not the siren voice that continues to beckon to me. That gal's name is psychiatry and I intend to be faithful to her! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. But I admit, rather like Chuck in Pink Hats, I've been toying with the idea of doing child-adolescent psychiatry for the past few months. Just toying with it, because once you go down that road, it's all you can do. If you do general psychiatry, you can still treat kids, but also adults. It's something that's just simmering and I'm counting on time in fourth year rotations to help me decide for sure, one way or t'uther. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. But I admit, rather like Chuck in Pink Hats, I've been toying with the idea of doing child-adolescent psychiatry for the past few months. Just toying with it, because once you go down that road, it's all you can do. If you do general psychiatry, you can still treat kids, but also adults. It's something that's just simmering and I'm counting on time in fourth year rotations to help me decide for sure, one way or t'uther. :-)
    Henna Hair Dye

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...