Monday, September 7, 2009

Temptation

I've really got to resist the temptation to go off on a rant this morning. I'm still reeling from yesterday's encounter with Roz Savage and regular readers know how these things stick with me. It's just that I love people who challenge preconceptions and do the opposite of what they're "supposed" to do.

I mean, in a very real sense, that's what adventure is about: taking risks and embracing uncertainty. There are a lot of ways to do that and they don't all involve physical danger. It's part of our cultural heritage, I suppose, that we equate adventure

Seeking adventure

with youth and daring-do, but anytime a person extends themselves beyond the bounds of known capability, what else can we call it?

The poet, Robert Browning once said, "a man's reach should exceed his
grasp," but somewhere along the line we've gotten the idea that ceases to apply once your hair begins to grey. Ironically, that's when it begins to make the most sense. Loving with passion, achieving and possessing a vision for the future are what make life worth living. These are things we never outgrow.

Well, I guess I didn't resist temptation very well, did I? (smile) That forbidden fruit, it gets me every time.


(
Image by nick_russill via Flickr)
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...