Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Pure Dumb Luck

My mother used to say, "Beggar, you never know what a day will bring forth," and today is a case in point. It began with a cloud bank over the hayfield and proceeded to an experience editing HTML. Now, for readers who are familiar with web development, computer language, and all that good stuff, this sounds like ABC. For me, it was about as simple as doing neurosurgery on a flea.

I started out following the directions and that got me absolutely nowhere. For one thing, manuals are written by people who know what they're doing for other people who know what they're doing. I'm not any of those people. So, I did the next best thing and asked for an explanation of the directions. This in itself is miraculous because, as women everywhere attest, guys can be lost in the equivalent of Dante's nine circles of hell for the better part of eternity before throwing in the towel. I'm no exception.

Lucky album coverImage via Wikipedia

But, hey, what did I have to lose, right? And after listening to designers speaking what I'm sure must been English -- at first I thought "Klingon" -- I figured out how to insert a tiny bit of code into my website. Amazing. I feel like a programmer! I know, don't get carried away -- the truth is, it was a case of pure dumb luck.

Sometimes that's what it takes -- a happenstance mixture of need and desire, coupled with hard work and the next thing you know, voila! The question now is, will it work? That's when I'll really get lucky.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...