Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Holiday for the Human Spirit

Maybe it was moving to Boston and being surrounded by history, but somewhere along the line, I turned into a guy who can't keep his eyes dry on the Fourth. Give me a chorus of "This Land is Your Land" or "America the Beautiful," and it's pass the tissues time. I can't get through them without choking up. I didn't used to be that way, but I am now.

Lance Armstrong corneringImage by eugene via Flickr


I think this year is going to be especially moving because Lance Armstrong is riding the Tour de France -- once again. Why is that special? It's a comeback story. It's about refusing to yield to traditional notions of age and achievement. It's about being who you are instead of getting out of the way. It's about digging deep, it's about courage, it's about cancer survivors, it's about you and me.

I suppose I get so emotional on the Fourth because of all our American holidays, this one celebrates the human spirit. It's a day when we recognize a person is limited only by the extent of their vision. A day when all the "You can'ts" take a back seat to "I can." A day when "You won't" becomes "I will," and the whole world watches in wonder.

Have a great Fourth of July!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...