Friday, March 19, 2010

We Were Discussing Eagles...

Haliaeetus leucocephalus (bald eagle) landing ...

The first time I came close enough to a bald eagle to consider introducing myself, was one afternoon in Southern Colorado. My dog and I were taking our walk around the lake near my late father's home when I noticed a large shadow on the ground ahead of us. At first I thought it might be a cloud and when I looked, there was an eagle sitting in a tree above me.

"Beg, what's a neagle?"

"It's a bird, like the ones you enjoy watching out the study window in the mornings, though much larger. And it's an eagle, not a neagle."

"Okay."

I was surprised to see one so near civilization, and assumed it was contemplating a trout dinner from the lake. We stood there for a moment, and --

"Beg? What does a neagle eat?"

"Some of the same things you used to eat when you were living on your own: fish, small rodents, sometimes a turkey. You get regular cat food now. Once again, it's an eagle -- when the letter 'a' is followed by a word beginning with a vowel, we add 'n,' making the word 'an.' Why are you asking?

"Because I think there's one out in the hayfield and I'd like to go out and 'make his acquaintance,' if you get my drift."

"I'm sure you would, but he's way too big for you. As a matter of fact, you'd look like dinner to him. And besides that, I don't want you to pick up any fleas."

"I think I could take him, anyway."

"I have no doubt. Now can I get back to my writing?"

"Oh, sure, go ahead. I won't bother you anymore."

So, where was I? Right -- we stood there a moment, me wondering whether our movement might frighten it away, when --

"Beg? What's a flea?"

"It's a little bug that makes you itch! Now, please, can we finish this conversation later? My patience is wearing thin."

"All right, but don't you wear clothes?"

Sigh. My mother told me there would be days like this.


(Public Domain image via Wikipedia)

4 comments:

  1. SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE EAGLES, BUT I DO....MY SON FOUND AN INJURED ONE ONE THE ROAD AND BROUGHT IT HOME. I HAD IT FOR AGES UNTIL IT GOT BETTER. I WOULD FEEL IT MEAT AND HUG IT. IT WOULDN'T LEAVE EVEN WELL ABLE TO FLY OFF, SO WE TOOK IT TO A WILD LIFE REFUGE.
    THEY ARE SO MAJESTIC AND I FEEL THEY ARE SOMEWHAT LIKE GOD. ALL SEEING ANG KNOWING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them very much, too, and the one that alighted in the hayfield the other day was huge. What surprised me was it's being a bald eagle. I didn't realize they lived in this part of the country, but apparently, they do. The ones I thought were Golden Eagles last year were younger ones that had not yet gotten their white head and tail feathers. It's really quite a thing to see them soaring overhead but when they land in a tree or on the ground, you can really get a feel for their size. It's really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love me some Isaiah 40:31!
    Happy memories of Tom's Eagle Court of Honor. Thanks for being a great mentor to this fledgling and many others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EHC:

    I almost began this post with the Isaiah passage, "they will rise up with wings as eagles," and that took the story in a completely different direction. As it was, I was afraid I'd end up with absolutely nothing on paper yesterday, when a snippet of a conversation with my cat over the eagle in the hayfield came to mind while the dog and I were walking.

    Thinking about Eagle Scouts...those guys did more for me than I think I did for them. I can't drive down the road and hear Guns and Roses or Aerosmith without being taken back to those days heading for campouts. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...