Saturday, March 27, 2010

Is There an Osteopath in the House?

Juste Debout 2008 — Danses Hip Hop Dance

So, tonight, I'm off to dancing lessons and I have to tell you, I feel a little self-conscious about it. Now, to be sure, anyone else who's going to be there (aside from the instructors) knows about as much as I do, which is next to nothing, so I'm in good company. Ordinarily, I'd be particularly nervous about learning something that involves muscle coordination, but medical school has actually helped in that regard.

As osteopathic students, we're taught techniques that fall under the rubric of Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine, which means we work with the body to diagnose and treat certain kinds of illness conditions. We learn how to be sensitive to changes in muscle, skin, and the various other tissues that make up the body, and how they influence one another. It's just one more tool in the kit to help us help patients, but it's also helped me gain a sense of confidence about using my hands in ways I'd never done previously.

As a result, I don't think feeling uncoordinated is going to be a major problem this evening, though one never knows. Placing your hands in the proper position to correct a muscle spasm is one thing, getting your feet to cooperate with dance steps is, no doubt, another. This is one time when a little OMM from one of my classmates to help me relax might be what the doctor ordered.

In lieu of that, I'll try to remember to breath and avoid injuring anyone's phalanges (the bones in the feet that correspond to the fingers). On second thought, I've got an idea: why not simply get my head examined? I mean, I've gotten through life thus far without having to trip the light fantastic (much), do I really want to alter my track record now? I know, stop making excuses, I'll be fine. You're probably right. I suppose the worst that can happen is someone will step on my toes and then I'll really need OMM. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

In the meantime, just in case, is there an osteopath in the house?


(Creative Commons image by William Hamon (aka Ewns) via Flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...