Friday, March 26, 2010

Dancing with the Stars? Not Yet


In my dreams, I'm Gene Kelley or Fred Astaire. Mostly Gene because he was so darned athletic and besides, in Singin' in the Rain (1952), he had Cyd Charisse for a partner and she's hot as a pistol. And then there's the scene with the umbrella -- I'd love to do that one. Did you know he had a fever of 103 at the time and most of his moves were made up on the spot? Fred's got style and grace, but he never seems to break a sweat. That's too cool for me. No, Gene's definitely my kind of guy. Patrick Swayze would work, too.

I'm talking about dancing, of course, and not as a metaphor. I realize it's one of my favorites and I try to use it sparingly. This time I mean the real thing, putting my arms around a girl and moving in time with the music without looking like a complete geek. And therein lies the problem. I don't know how to dance. At least not in public and not without getting arrested.

Why worry about it? you ask. Well, a good friend of mine is going to be a June bride and I'm pretty sure there will be dancing at the reception. Begging off one with the bride is not an option and the last thing I want is for her to think, OMG, he's a klutz! If the music was such that I could count on the floor resembling a mosh pit, that's one thing. Raise your arms in the air and sway back and forth. I'm a musician, I've got rhythm, I can do that. No special skills required.

Something tells me, however, I'm not going to be so lucky. Ballroom dancing seems to be making a comeback and that brings me back to ground zero. There's only a little over two months between yours truly and the four opening notes of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, fate knocking ominously at the door. Short of hiding in the hayloft of my barn, I've got to do something.

Fortunately, there is a local studio that offers a six-week beginner's course in the basic ballroom styles -- foxtrot, waltz, and swing -- so I guess I'll be adding a new element to my current board preparation schedule. I doubt Gene or Patrick will have to worry about competition, six weeks won't qualify me for Dancing with the Stars. As long as it looks like I know what I'm doing, I'll be happy. Sweeping someone off their feet can wait for the "intermediate" class (smile).



(Creative Commons image of Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse by Korova Interociter via Flickr)


2 comments:

  1. I adore dancing and used to do it often with all the Italian weddings attended. Now I can only waltz. My grandson Antonio who is almost 18 has learned to tango and salsa...gosh I love to watch..

    And besides the people you mentioned, John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever was good.
    You'll be right...
    Have a lovely time when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly, the place I contacted throws in a few Latin steps like salsa and tango with the basics. This feels like something I should have learned at a much younger age, but I guess better late than never. :-)

    I'd forgotten about Travolta -- you're right, he would be a good one to put on the list! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...