Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Time Machine

For years, one of my favorite films has been The Time Machine (1960) with Rod Taylor. I'm grateful to Turner Classic Movies for showing the wide-screen version periodically and giving me the opportunity to feel nine years old again. A remake was done in 2002 with more advanced special effects and a different twist on the story. 

In the 1960 version, the hero yearns to discover a world where war and pestilence have been overcome. Instead, he finds people are the same whether they're from his time or the distant future. The film also makes a strong anti-nuclear war statement. In the 2002 version, the hero witnesses the death of his fiance and attempts to use his time machine to save her life. Unsuccessful, he sets course for the future wondering why he can't change the past.

The film answers his question to some extent by implying that some events are beyond alteration. When the hero manages to prevent his fiance's death by one means, another takes its place. It's as though history has predetermined her death at that moment, by hook or by crook. Eighty thousand years down the road he discovers the only influence he has at all is on the course of the future.

Now the truth is, I'm not so sure we can't change the past. Certainly, I would admit we can't materially alter the events that constitute history, but when we change who we are, do we not change the past in some way? When we detoxify the elements of a personal or cultural history and behave differently, is it possible the effects extend backwards as well as forwards? I think they do. If I can look back and reinterpret what has taken place in the light of who I am now, I give my history new meaning and significance. As a result, instead of it being a lead weight around my neck, the past becomes the impetus for living well.

There is a wonderful line carved into the facade of the National Archives: "What is Past is Prologue." I'm beginning to think what is past is also perception, and if history is an organic unity that combines what has been with what is and what is yet to come, then inherent in my perceptions is the power to remake history. And that's pretty incredible.






Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. There's a song that's covered by Allison Moorer (it's too early in the AM for me to remember who originally wrote it) called "Revelator," in which she sings "Time is a revelator," and points out that time makes the path straight. Oftentimes we say that the older we get, the less we know, and I think that's true, but time also gives us a knowledge base to work with in making decisions and, as you say, remaking history. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I was thinking about this today and it occurred to me that, unlike eternity which we characterize as the "eternal now," our experience in time really has no actual "now" as opposed to then or later. We are caught up in the flow of things and everything we call the present is in the process of becoming either the past or the future. Eternity is not only going to be far more than we've ever imagined, it's going to be much more than we've ever experienced.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...