Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve, 2008

I just got home from a morning of Christmas shopping and I'm done at last. I usually prefer not to shop at the last minute but this year it was more or less a necessity. For one thing, we have only one vehicle with four-wheel drive and with the recent heavy snow, my wife and I had to share the car and plan accordingly. For another, second-year medical school courses succeed in keeping students thoroughly engaged in study, so the days that lead up to the Holidays are full to capacity.

One of the things that struck me as unusual this year was the fact that parking was in abundance wherever I went. In the past, I've spent nearly as much time searching for a parking space as I did shopping. I noticed also that there weren't any crowds. In fact, it almost felt like a snowy day in October instead of nearly Christmas. Even discount stores like the L.L. Bean outlet were calm in comparison to previous years.

I can't tell you precisely where I went because my wife reads this blog and, of course, too much detail will be a "giveaway." So, relying on your willingness to keep a secret, let's just say the economic slowdown is evident in Portland, Maine. It's sad to see so few preparing for the Holidays, though the barrenness of once-full Christmas Tree lots testifies to the fact that people are bravely refusing to abandon all hope this year.

Speaking of Christmas Trees, I love tall ones. For most of my life, I've lived in places where the ceiling just wouldn't accommodate the extent of my fantasy. One year, the poor tree had to bend its top over by about four inches because I couldn't resist bringing it home. It's ironic that this year we finally have a ceiling that goes to nine feet and the tree is only about five feet high.

What happened? Well, it's like this. I mentioned the restrictions that medical school places on our time. When I was finally free to look for a tree, the pickings were pretty slim. Finally, I found a lovely little tree that looked like it wanted a home at a farm nearby. "I also sell 35 different kinds of vegetables in the spring," the farmer said, as the beginning of what became 16 inches of snow blew round us. I dearly love John Denver's "Alfie: The Christmas Tree," and this little one reminded me of Alfie, so what else could I do?

Before it's time to begin clumsily wrapping presents and baking cookies for Santa's visit tonight (I'm better at baking than wrapping) I'll close with a line from "Alfie": "in your Christmas prayers this year, say a prayer for the wind, the water, and the wood; and those who live there, too." And please include those who are less fortunate because this year, they could very well be our neighbors.


May your Holiday be warm, happy, and filled with all the good things that love and joy bring. However you celebrate, may it be wonderful!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...