Saturday, July 2, 2011

It's the People, Not the Place


If I were to say it's harvest time, you might glance at the calender and wonder if I didn't need some of the chemical dependency treatment I've been trying lately to provide, except for one thing. My hayfield is getting its first buzz-cut of the year. In a couple of months, we'll get one more "cutting," before the growing season settles in for a long winter's nap. All of this means the sound of a tractor engine is added to the bird songs coming in my study window, blending with the rhythmic inhalation-exhalation cycle of sleeping dogs. These are the sounds of Maine mid-summer mornings I love best.

They are especially nice when heralding the onset of a three day weekend. I know, you thought I couldn't wait to get to the psychiatric unit each morning, what gives? Well, Saturday morning reverie like this feels like pushing yourself back from the table after a holiday meal with family and close friends, a meal with all the trimmings that satisfies like no other. The past four weeks I've tucked in with a huge napkin draped over my shirt and my plate has overflowed.

If I were called in, I'd be glad to go, but that's not going to happen. Students don't have "call" on this rotation, so I'm spared the necessity of being available, though like I say, I wouldn't mind. One of the docs has the duty this weekend and he'll cover the adult, child-adolescent, and chemical dependency units. Basically, he needs to touch base with every patient once in the course of 72 hours and take care of emergencies and new admissions. But I remember my first night on-call during pediatrics and this is his first weekend in the same role, only with more responsibility, and it's easy to commiserate. Besides that, he's a really nice guy whom I've enjoyed getting to know.

That holds true for everyone I've worked with thus far. I realize I've said this before, but it's hard to say too often. I'm truly grateful for the generosity these people have demonstrated, how they've taken me in as a quasi-staff member, overlooking my occasional and predictable mistakes, and accepted my efforts to do well with appreciation. For all the reasons I'm not looking forward to the end of this rotation, the people I've worked with are at the top of my list.

I think the reason for this comes about from a paid employment history that includes two hospitals. I've been a member of a treatment team where people are counting on me to do my job. Medical students are permitted certain tasks but none of them are essential in the sense that, in your absence, there is no one else available to do them. On this rotation, however, the entire staff, from the unit secretaries to the physicians, have not only treated me like someone they enjoy having around, they've taken my contributions seriously. They make me wish this hospital had a psychiatric residency program.

One of them, a social worker, does something no one else has ever done -- he insists on calling me "Doctor." Not "Student Doctor," but Doctor in the same way, with the same tone of voice he uses when speaking with the psychiatrists. I told him one evening, as he was preparing to leave and I was still at the computer, writing progress notes, that getting into medical school had been a struggle and staying in was a full-time job. Even though I had no legal right to the title, it meant a great deal to hear him use it. He ducked his head, smiled, and said I deserved it. That blew me away.

I'm not sure I deserve anything, really, but working with folks like him makes me realize, when it comes to being happy, more than anything else, it's the people, not the place.


(Creative Commons image of the Joint Medical Group by Defense Images via Flickr)

2 comments:

  1. if i wanted to do psych and there was a residency where you're rotating, i'd totally apply, if only for the awesome people there. all of the docs are nice, they generally treat the cnas and rns with respect, and most people are happy to teach students things.

    and the new doc doing his first call of all three units? i love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he's a great guy, too, RH. Generous with patient time and respectful of student contributions. In a lot of ways, that summarizes my impression with this hospital. Students actually count as future colleagues. Maybe they know something and maybe they don't, but no one gets put down because of it. That is tremendously important because learning best takes place in an environment where experimentation, trial and error, is encouraged.

    Your comments strike at the heart of what makes a good residency program. When you're going to spend four years in a place, the people are the ones who make it worth the time, and if they come up with a residency program before I graduate, they can count on being on my ERAS. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...