Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What No One Else Can Do


After switching on the computer in the morning, I first check email. Then I look at overnight blog stats, take a few minutes to read something inspirational, and then start writing. This morning, however, something drew me back to the email box one more time and I found this:

Dear Beggar:

You and I have never met, as far as I know, but your essay entitled "What Would Holly Say?" struck a chord. At first, I was disinclined to write -- naturally, I was flattered that you should mention me -- and then, at the urging of my writer-husband, felt you would appreciate a response. Now that I'm on the other side of where I used to be, I'd like to offer the following. Feel free to print it if you wish.

You wrote that I was intent on finding a rich husband at one point in my life, and you are correct. My brother and I grew up in poverty, and following the deaths of our parents, lived on our own, sometimes eating whatever we could beg, borrow, and often, steal. If this sounds tragic, it was, but I learned how to survive and I learned you can't rely on anyone but yourself. That's what I told myself and when I made my way to New York City, I was determined to use any means at my disposal to make certain I was never so vulnerable again.

But, as luck would have it, I met a struggling writer -- you may no doubt identify -- who was honest, forthright, and I tried very hard not love him. I didn't want to risk disappointment nor did I wish to find myself scrubbing floors while supporting his dream. Oh, and he couldn't dance either, just so you know.

He was insistent, however, and refused to allow me to play the kinds of games that were essential for relating to the cocktail party set. To this, I wasn't accustomed, but you might say he won me over by his genuineness -- I suppose there's no greater aphrodisiac for a woman than being loved truly. Perhaps, for men as well, though not being one, I can't say.

As to your party, I hope you have a lovely time, but permit me to say, please don't give up being yourself in order to do so. If there is anything I've gained from my own experience, it's this. There will always be those whom we consider more handsome or beautiful, more sophisticated, more adept at everything, but when they've all gone, we're left only with ourselves.

One of my writer's favorite authors is Mark Twain, whom he's fond of quoting, and especially this one: "Dance like no one is watching, sing like no one is listening, love like you've never been hurt, live like it's heaven on earth." I notice you've used this line before and find it meaningful. If that is true, remember then, to dance, sing, love, and live without hesitation. No one else can do these things for you, nor can they do them quite like you.

Yours,

Holly


(Note to the reader -- the "letter" above is a work of fiction, with a tip of the hat to Truman Capote. It's the letter I imagine Holly writing, if she could.)
(Creative Commons image by mix2012 via Flickr)
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. According to someone who has read the book, Holly runs away at the end. You gotta watch the internet; anyone could be out there, pretending to be Holly. Caveat emptor, and all that.

    EHC, who still wants to look like Audrey Hepburn if there's another time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I haven't read the book and just discovered this afternoon that it was written by Truman Capote -- proof the man definitely had a romantic bone in his body. And of course, "Holly" is me -- this is the letter I imagined she'd write if she could. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything that lady wrote. And I also believe love is much more important than money. Be yourself and attract like minded people.
    Also...I am hoping you might put your name onto Sepia Saturdays site (one I follow,so look there). You need to use a Sepia pic and write about it.. Then get a shock at the response.
    Don't study too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, I knew that "Holly" was you. You're good at writing imaginative fiction, as well as critical reflection.
    If you haven't seen the movie "Capote," now's a good time. Not only did Capote have a romantic streak; he also had a conscience. Great acting as well as great screenplay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figured you knew it was me, but I appreciate the way your wrote your comment because it made me realize I ought to be a caveat at the end of the post, just in case. And thanks for the compliment, that's awfully nice of you to say. :-)

    I have seen "Capote," though it's been a while and maybe I should see it again. I'd forgotten about that and he certainly did have a social conscience, now that you mention it. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was amazing in the role and Capote's relationship with the killers whom he was interviewing, was intense.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...