Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kidney Stones on the Fourth


Up until the moment I found myself throwing up in my aunt's bathroom, it had been a pretty typical Fourth of July. Visiting family on the Western Slope of the Rockies, my uncle and I had spent the day trout fishing on Black Mountain where he and my father grew up (see 11/26/09).

I assumed it was the 24 hour stomach flu rather than food poisoning, because we'd all eaten the same things and I was the only one with his head in the diagonal dimension diver. After doubling over with pain, however, it was time to visit the local hospital. X-Rays revealed a tiny pebble in my left ureter -- the usually fairly flattened fleshy tube that runs from kidney to bladder. Yep, you guessed it, a kidney stone.

Fast forward to February of the following year. I'm back in the hospital, only this time closer to home, with the equivalent of a gravel pit in my left kidney. Two surgeries and 21 days later I was discharged with the rudiments of a scar along my stomach that, when swimming with my Scout Troop, would make the younger boys ask wide-eyed, "Were you wounded in Viet Nam?" Not quite, but it sure felt like it at the time.

There's nothing like being a patient to teach you how to empathize with your patients. Vital signs at 5.30 AM and just as I'm about to get back to sleep, a smiling face says it's time for breakfast. Whoever suggested hospitals were a place of rest ought to have their head examined. The hardest part was having to cough after surgery to clear my lungs of mucus. When you've got a fresh incision in your gut that makes you breathe cautiously to begin with, coughing is pure hell.

It's easy to lose track of time in the hospital. When I went in, it was the dead of winter, when I got out, it felt like early spring. Morphine (the only thing that even touched the pain) not only distorts your perception of time, but also people. I was thoroughly enjoying a visit with a girlfriend one night when I realized she wasn't who I thought she was. No, I didn't tell her my mistake -- I may have been dopey, but not that dopey.

What made all of it bearable and sometimes enjoyable, was the care I received from the staff. They were wonderful, even at the crack of dawn. 21 days is unheard of now, and I was fortunate to have the experience. It's one thing to work with patients every day. It's another to do so having been one myself, knowing how vulnerable a person can feel, and how much difference kindness can make. Maybe that's why hospitals don't feel like institutions to me anymore and instead, feel a little like home.


(Creative Commons Image of kidney stone by Bradley P. Johnson via Flickr)

4 comments:

  1. "diagonal dimension diver" - you have to be (ahem) chronologically gifted to get this one. Want to explain it to you audience?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now it's time to come clean. The Diagonal Dimension Diver is a figment of a cartoonist's imagination and one of my favorite off-beat terms for the toilet. I first became aware of this illustrious bit of literary trivia from EHC, so I'm giving credit where credit is due.

    Now, having said all that, here's the story. It's 1965 and the cartoon figure, "Wonder Warthog," is in trouble, so his future self decides to go back in time to assist. To get to the past, he dives into the Diagonal Dimension Diver(a chain toilet) and saved the day.

    You see? Just when you thought the loo was something ordinary! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every best doctor and nurse in the world has experienced pain and suffering. It makes the difference to how we understand and care. Hope you got rid of those stones for good. Keep well!
    Blessings Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Crystal, and thanks for the good wishes. I haven't had a serious encounter with them in a long time and that's fine with me! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...