Sunday, January 18, 2009

A President With Heart

In this morning's Parade magazine there is an open letter from President Elect Barack Obama to his daughters. What struck me as I read this was its humanity. I think that's what attracted me to Obama in the first place. Other Presidents have seemed less approachable. What I mean by this is, with the exceptions of Jimmy Carter and John Kennedy, other occupants of the Oval Office have appeared so presidential that I had a difficult time imagining myself in a conversation with them.

Part of it, I'm sure, is the fact that Obama has made himself so accessible by means of the internet. This in itself is completely new. I mean, how often has a candidate opened himself to regular communication with his supporters and then actively encouraged it? Furthermore, every email I received from him was signed "Barack," not Senator Barack Obama. One might say this was a carefully crafted attempt to gain support by making people believe he was being personal. I'm not convinced. Too many have gotten elected previously without this kind of interaction; I think we're seeing who he really is.

I mentioned Jimmy Carter and I'm thinking of his fireside chats with him clad in a cardigan. I remember hearing how this failed to appeal to many Americans and it's possible Carter was ahead of his time. As a country, we may not have been ready for a President who was like us. Ronald Reagan presented the image of a strong Commander in Chief who was no-nonsense, all business, and intent on taking charge. I suspect this is the kind of image John McCain would have liked to have been associated with as well, but times have changed. While we want someone who can be counted on in a pinch, we are also willing and even eager to identify with a President who knows what it's like to overcome minority status, to experience loss and grow because of it. We like seeing him playing ball and being a family man. We're ready for a President who is not only a father, he's a dad.

I hope you'll take time to read the Parade article. I think you may find it refreshing and touching. It certainly gives us one more glimpse into the heart of the person we've elected, and that's important. We need to know a President has a heart. We've certainly had our share of Presidents who acted as though ambition was enough. It's not. We need more and I think this time, we got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...