Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Look, Mom, I Passed!


This morning dawned chilly in my neck of the Maine woods and it's about time we had a blast of Canadian air to remind us it's December. I have yet to get my Christmas tree, but that's on the list for this week.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, the one I've included of Rocky Balboa says it all. I'm overjoyed to share the news that I finally passed my boards exams! A not-so-subtle subject line in an email from the Dean last night alerted me to check the exam web site once again and am I ever glad I did.

How do I feel? Like 40 pounds has been lifted off my chest and shoulders. As I've said before, boards are an unusual species of critter. No matter how hard you study, how well you feel prepared, how positive you are once you're done, it's really quite impossible to have any assurance that you've passed. There are questions that absolutely must correspond to the answers you've selected and there are others that defy prediction. Because of the inherent uncertainty involved in such a broad-based and wide-ranging examination, only Professor Trelawney, who teaches divination at Hogwarts, could possibly know the outcome. And I think she might even regard it as the ultimate challenge.

As a result, you never can quite relax until scores have been reported or at least that's been my experience lately. Now, however, the whole world looks brighter, as though someone cranked the rheostat up from medium to high. What comes next? Well, as far as medical school is concerned, rotations are on my horizon beginning in January. I don't know where I'll be working but I have a vague idea of what I'll be doing. To begin with, there will be two weeks of family practice right here in Southern Maine. After that, your guess is as good as mine, but I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Beyond this, there are the holidays of course, and I'm writing at last, after a long dry spell this fall. If it seems as though I'm spending quite a bit of time with Pink Hats and a Mack Truck, it's because I'd like to finish this series before rotations begin. I'm thoroughly enjoying the way this story is unfolding and while I have an idea how it will end, there are no guarantees. I may end up as surprised as you. So, please accept my thanks for your support and encouragement as well as my appreciation for all your well wishes these past months. They have paid off in spades.


(Creative Commons image by hsuanwei via Flickr)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Where is the first chapter of Pink Hats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! I appreciate it especially knowing you've been through your own boards experience as a pharmacist. I have a friend who is also one, nearby, and we've talked frequently about medicine, pharmacy, boards, etc. One of your distant colleagues. :-)

    First chapter to Pink Hats is called "The Treasure in the Trash," and I think the link to the right listed under Pink Hats and a Mack Truck, will work. I've been having difficulties getting all the chapters listed, so I'm going to have to do something else, in terms of listing them, but that's a "weekend" project! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...