Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Boat and a Bag of McDonald's

mcdonald's golden arches

My dog and I were on our way to the post office when my cell phone went off. I looked at the number and not recognizing it, did a stupid thing: I clicked "answer."

"Hello, Beggar speaking."

"Who?" responded an unfamiliar voice.

"Beggar. Who's this?"

"Oh, yeah, you the guy who called about the boat?"

I may have a lake for a hayfield right now, but that doesn't mean I intend to canoe it. "No, I'm not, sorry," I said, hoping to bring what I assumed to be a wrong number conversation to a quick close.

"Well, would you like a boat?" he asked.

"Nope, not today."

"I'll throw in a bag of McDonald's."

If this guy's not in sales, he's missed his calling, I thought, adding, "Definitely not, thanks anyway," before hanging up. I could have informed him I was a medical student, had studied nutrition, and generally tried to avoid fast food (nothing personal, Ronald), but my best lines always seem to come after the fact.

Then it occurred to me: today is April 1st -- oh, brother, did I ever fall for that one. So, what do you think? Should I call him back, apologize for missing the joke, and ask him to put me on his list for next year? Or maybe call and ask if he really is the guy with the boat for sale? See, I've got this lake...


(Creative Commons image by The Consumerist via Flickr)

5 comments:

  1. A cheerful twist to the usual awkward 'wrong number' scenario...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It really did happen just that way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny!I love playing jokes...
    I would have got caught for sure!
    They should have told you you were entered into a dance comp, LOL
    HAPPY EASTER...BE HAPPY AND BLESSED.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal:

    Happy Easter to you, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yeah, a dance competition would have been right up my alley! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...